Politics & Government

Vote On Dutch Bros. Proposal Delayed In Downers Grove

The vote is now set for the Sept. 8 village meeting.

DOWNERS GROVE, IL — The Downers Grove Village Council opted Tuesday to delay a vote on the proposed Dutch Bros. proposal at the intersection of Saratoga and Ogden Avenues.. Commissioners expressed they would like more information on car stacking and how Herrick Middle School's recent changes to pickup and dropoff will affect traffic near the site.

The vote is now set for the Sept. 8 village meeting.

The petitioners are requesting an alley vacation, a special use permit, plat of subdivision, and zoning variances for a Dutch Bros. drive-thru coffee shop and multi-tenant retail building.

Find out what's happening in Downers Grovefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The proposal had met with ongoing resistance from neighboring residents who expressed concerns about traffic and pedestrian safety. A petition opposing the Dutch Bros. development had garnered more than 800 signatures.

During the public comment portion of Tuesday's meeting, residents echoed concerns.

Find out what's happening in Downers Grovefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Resident Nanci Gasiel said Ogden Avenue "needs to be redeveloped in a way that holistically supports all modes of transportation."

Gasiel said if the development is approved, the village's commitment to becoming a pedestrian-first community will be "nothing more than lip service and empty words."

Scott Richards "We're not against the company itself. It's the location they want. The space isn't big enough."

Richards also raised concerns about how businesses at the development's multi-tenant retail space might impact traffic.

During council discussion, Tammy Sarver said she had initially been in favor of the development, but upon further reading, had "some concerns."

Commissioner Tammy Sarver said the site is unique as its "near two schools in a very very busy stretch of Ogden Avenue."

"There are many places in our large village that could support this and not leave me feeling very burdened" by safety concerns, Sarver said.

Commissioner Chris Gilmartin praised how petitioners have worked to make changes to address residents' concerns

"We now have an agreement to allow our community director to handle what that lot is going ot be like in terms of capacity," Gilmartin said.

He said the community director could "demand changes" within the first six months of Dutch Bros. opening, "giving us the continued ability to ensure the safety of this location has been met."

Gilmartin said pedestrian safety changes have also been made to the proposal, including "speed, bumps crosswalks and other signage that is going to make it safer than it is today."

He added that changes had been proposed by nearby Herrick Middle School to improve access for pickup and dropoff. He said the school's gates will also open a half-hour earlier for pickup.

Gilmartin suggested waiting for a summer opening to avoid increased traffic during the school year, but said there had been "some pushback" from the petitioners. He said he'd like to know more about why they expressed resistance to this suggestion

Commissioner Rob Roe said "I don't think I'm ready to vote yet."

Roe said, "My issues are whether the complications with this site, this plan and the traffic conditions at Saratoga and Ogden and Herrick and Downers Grove North will create a health and safety concern."

Roe said he went to the Dutch Bros. in Melrose Park one morning and was in a line of "16 to 17 cars"

"I didn't move for 5 minutes," he said. "It took me 16 minutes to get through the drive-thru."

Roe said he had the same experience on a Friday afternoon around 3:45 p.m. and said he needs more information from the petitioner.

Commissioner Martin Tully said the site's designation as a TIF District and its proximity to a signaled intersection make it ideal for Dutch Bros.

Mayor Bob Barnett then suggested delaying the vote, considering that Commissioner Roe wanted more information and that some commissioners said they might support the proposal if it met some conditions.

"I think most of us would like to see this happen, but are not quite ready," Barnett said.

Sarver added that she wanted clarity on how long it will actually take to get through the drive-thru. She also suggested waiting to see how Herrick's recent changes impact traffic in the coming months.

Commissioner Mike Davenport asked if there's a way for the development to work without the alley vacation.

The village's planning and zoning commission reviewed the proposal at its July 6 meeting and voted 5 to 1 recommend denial.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.