Neighbor News
The Sherborn 1858 Town House - A Focal Point of Town History
A gem in the heart of Sherborn
The Sherborn Town House was built in 1858 with a bequest from Thomas Dowse, a 19th century tanner, leather dresser and renowned book collector who grew up in Sherborn and spent his adulthood in Cambridgeport. An avid reader, he donated the funds to build the local Town House to serve as a gathering place for the community and site for higher learning in the classics.
The Town House was designed by Elbridge Boyden, a noted architect who also designed Mechanics Hall in Worcester. Boyden’s design incorporated an Italianate style like other East Coast buildings at the time. The building rises two-and-a-half stories to a gable roof and cupola with a gilded weathervane. A fire in 1876 destroyed the first floor that was rebuilt to include a larger room with only one staircase.
For its first 100 years, the Town House also housed the town library, municipal offices, police department, and U.S. Post Office. The upstairs Great Hall, with its expansive ballroom and open stage, was the site of annual Town Meetings and social gatherings such as dances and theater productions.
By 1971, the Town House was in poor condition and close to being condemned but continued to be occupied by some town offices. By the mid-1980’s, the building fell further into disrepair and the town considered whether to demolish or sell it. The Board of Selectmen took preliminary action to promote the sale, but that summer, alarmed at the prospect of losing Sherborn's oldest public building, four concerned citizens, Robert Ambos, Patricia Cassell, Richard Husselbee, and Dewey Talbert, petitioned the Board of Selectmen to abandon the sale of the building. They proposed restoring it for the town’s citizens, as was Thomas Dowse’ original intent.
These four citizens created the Sherborn Community Center Foundation, Inc., a 501(c)(3) non profit. Over the next 6 years the Foundation raised almost $1 million and restored the 1858 Town House to its 19th century glory. The local community contributed most of the required funding through a steady stream of fundraising campaigns and events, and public and private grants. The volunteer board oversaw the reconstruction and renovation and many Sherborn businesses made valuable contributions donating their professional services to the effort.
The original white tin walls and ceilings were restored and painted and the exterior colors returned to their original hues. The cedar shingled roof was replicated. The cupola, a New England mainstay, was rebuilt with a new copper roof and weathervane. Local artist Anita Sebastian stenciled historically accurate wall treatments thoughout the building and painted a stylized mural depicting early Sherborn in the first floor School Room.
The Town House reopened its doors to the public in May 1992 with a dedication of the second floor to the Lewis Family followed by a Victorian Ball. The majestic chandelier in the Great Hall was donated by St. Theresa Church of Sherborn and was dedicated to the late Father John O’Connor. The community theater group, the Sherborn Players, produced a show called Back Home Again to inaugurate the 2nd floor stage. One year later, the Sherborn 1858 Town House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Find out what's happening in Dover-Sherbornfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Continuing the Mission
The Sherborn Community Center Foundation continues to operate and maintain this beautifully restored building through the support of public donations, grants, and facility rentals. The Town House continues to be the site of civic, social, and private events. The Foundation is supported solely by private funding.
Today, local groups and organizations enjoy the use of the Town House at little to no cost — Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, Council on Aging, garden clubs, Daughters of the American Revolution, Sherborn Forest and Trail, The Friends of the Sherborn Library, Sherborn Lions as well as many high school sports teams and organizations. Local elementary school students attend “Social Dance” in the Great Hall and Dover Sherborn Summer Drama will celebrate its 20th season this summer. The Foundation also sponsors community events such as the annual Holiday Market, The Sherborn 350th cocktail party and Time Capsule, family events, blood drives and the ever popular Friday Night at the Movies for children.
If you would like more information about the 1858 Town House, please see our website 1858townhouse.com or email Sherborn1858events@gmail.com.
Find out what's happening in Dover-Sherbornfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Become a part of town history by helping us keep our mission alive!
