Politics & Government
Nearly 53,000 Apply For Michigan's Free Pre-K Program As Enrollment Grows
The program is Michigan's solution to getting more kids in classrooms as early as possible.
August 20, 2026
Michigan’s initiative to offer free pre-kindergarten for all is paying off, state educators said Wednesday, as the Department of Lifelong Education, Advancement and Potential, also known as MiLEAP, touted nearly 53,000 applications on file since June.
Find out what's happening in Across Michiganfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Emily Laidlaw, MiLEAP’s deputy director, said during a virtual news conference that the figure had grown by 700 applications in one month and by 16% compared with the same time last year, when applications totaled more than 45,000 children.
“Our children’s futures are the most important thing we can invest in, and we’re proud of our statewide efforts to get more students enrolled in high-quality pre-K programs,” Laidlaw told reporters Wednesday on a Zoom webinar to announce the Great Start Readiness program’s progress. “In May, we saw over 55,000 children enrolled for the 2025-26 school year, which was an all-time high for pre-K for all. This initiative is being embraced by families across the state because it provides a high-quality early education opportunity at no cost.”
Find out what's happening in Across Michiganfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Laidlaw added that with just one child enrolled in the program, families could save $14,000 a year on childcare costs. Those savings were crucial for families navigating high costs of living and a stagnating economy.
The program is Michigan’s solution to getting more kids in classrooms as early as possible, offering free pre-K programs for eligible four-year-olds across the state. It is ranked nationally as a premier pre-K program, offering math, reading and thinking skills training with a mix of play and hands-on activities.
Enrollment priority is given to families at or below 400% of the federal poverty limit, or approximately $128,000 for a family of four.
Laidlaw said that the program is open to all Michiganders, not just low- and middle-income families.
Synthia Britton, MiLEAP’s interim deputy director of early education, said that children who start ahead, stay ahead.
“Pre-K for All is improving hundreds of thousands of lives, which is why we must get the word out about these programs,” Britton said. “As we achieve record-breaking enrollment and applications, we know our efforts are paying off. There are more families across the state that can benefit from Pre-K for All who have not yet enrolled, so we must continue to spread the word about this amazing opportunity.”
Families can learn more about the programs by visiting the state’s Pre-K For All website, or by checking with their local intermediate school districts for enrollment timelines and deadlines.
JoAnne Elkin, an early childhood and early literacy consultant with the Macomb Intermediate School District, said her ISD has more than 4,500 children already enrolled for the upcoming 2026-27 academic year.
“We know from research that when children have a strong start and access to high-quality early learning, they are positioned to reach their full potential throughout their entire educational journey,” Elkin said. “High-quality pre-K promotes consistent attendance and positive school engagement, and it contributes to their success well beyond the early learning years.”
Elkin said that emerging research shows that by age 5, a child’s brain has developed to nearly 90% of adult size, making those early years so important to develop literacy and other key skills.
“Highlighting access to high-quality pre-K is so very important,” Elkin added. “It means that families can go to work knowing their child is in a safe, nurturing environment with caring adults who support their growth and development.”
The Michigan Advance, a hard-hitting, nonprofit news site, covers politics and policy across the state of Michigan through in-depth stories, blog posts, and social media updates, as well as top-notch progressive commentary. The Advance is part of States Newsroom, a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit supported by grants and a coalition of donors and readers.