Crime & Safety
5 Dead Including Suspects, Multiple Wounded In San Diego Mosque Shooting: Report
Officers are on scene at the Islamic Center at 7050 Eckstrom Ave., according to the San Diego Police Department.

SAN DIEGO, CA — A shooting rampage at the Islamic Center of San Diego left several congregants and two suspects dead Monday, according to police and multiple reports from the scene.
As of 2 p.m., five people were killed at the Islamic Center of San Diego. The victims included three adults, San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl told NBC News.
The gunfire erupted around 11:40 a.m. at the center at 7050 Eckstrom Ave. in the Clairemont neighborhood, according to the San Diego Police Department.
Find out what's happening in San Diegofor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The San Diego office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations confirmed at least one member of the mosque was killed.
The two suspects were killed, The Associated Press reported.
Find out what's happening in San Diegofor free with the latest updates from Patch.
A man who lives near the mosque told CBS8 that he heard two bursts of gunfire, possibly as many as 30 shots in all, sounding to him like high-caliber ammunition discharging.
By 12:44 p.m., the San Diego Police Department said the scene was "still active but contained." Police said at 1:06 p.m. that the threat had been "neutralized."
"We have significant resources on scene at this time," the department posted on the social platform X.
The Islamic Center is the largest mosque in San Diego County, according to its website. The campus includes the Al Rashid School, which offers courses in Arabic language, Islamic studies and the Quran, according to the site.
Schools were evacuated from the area as police set up a perimeter, according to multiple reports.
Fox5 San Diego reported that five San Diego Unified schools were impacted and placed on lockdown. Clairemont Canyon, Lafayette Elementary, Kearny High School, Ross Elementary and Sequoia Elementary were placed on lockdowns that have since been lifted.
A reunification spot for people displaced by the incident was established at the San Diego Clairemont Seventh-Day Adventist Church at 4125 Hathaway St.
The Council on American-Islamic Relations and its San Diego office condemned the attack at Islamic Center of San Diego.
"We strongly condemn this horrifying act of violence at the Islamic Center of San Diego," CAIR-San Diego Executive Director Tazheen Nizam said in a statement sent to Patch. "Our thoughts are with everyone impacted by this attack. No one should ever fear for their safety while attending prayers or studying at an elementary school. We are working to learn more about this incident and we encourage everyone to keep this community in your prayers."
Mayor Todd Gloria said on social media that he had been briefed about the situation.
"I am aware of the active shooter situation at the Islamic Center of San Diego in Clairemont and am continuing to receive updates from law enforcement," Gloria said on X. "Emergency personnel are on scene and actively working to protect the community and secure the area."
Gov. Gavin Newsom's office said he was also briefed.
"We are grateful to the first responders on the scene working to protect the community and urge everyone to follow guidance from local authorities," his office posted on X.
Authorities closed the Interstate 805 northbound and southbound on and off-ramps to Balboa Avenue due to police activity, according to the California Highway Patrol.
Authorities urged the public to avoid the area.
The Associated Press and City News Service contributed to this report.
More California News:
- Boy Jumps Into Water To Rescue Tangled Pelican In Alameda: Police
- DOJ: Deportations Led to Overcrowding, Strained Resources at ICE Facilities
- Jason Collins, NBA's 1st Active Gay Player, Dies At 47
- CA Mom Breaks Silence After Son On E-Motorcycle Ran Down Veteran
- World's Oldest Oak Is Spared From Developers' Bulldozers
- NBA Player, 29, Found Dead In CA Home
- Mayor Resigns After Being Charged As A Covert Agent For China
- Mob Of Teens On E-Bikes Attacks Man
- Jason Collins, First Openly Gay NBA Player And A CA Native, Dead At 47
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.