Weather

Over 20K Without Power In Monmouth County As Blizzard Continues

"Safety remains the top priority. I strongly urge residents to stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary," Comm. Director Arnone said.

MONMOUTH COUNTY, NJ — Over 20,000 Monmouth County residents are without power on Monday afternoon as a blizzard continues to hammer New Jersey, Monmouth County Commissioner Director Thomas Arnone said.

In an update issued on Monday afternoon, Arnone said that strong winds and heavy snowfall have affected over 160,000 JCP&L customers across the region.

As of Monday morning’s update, approximately 70,000 customers remain without service, with around 25,000 of those customers in Monmouth County.

Find out what's happening in Freeholdfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

According to JCP&L’s outage map, 24,058 Monmouth County customers have been affected by outages as of Monday afternoon.

“Crews have worked around the clock in extremely hazardous driving and working conditions to restore power as safely and quickly as possible and will continue to do so until all remaining customers are restored,” Arnone said.

Find out what's happening in Freeholdfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

According to Monmouth County officials, JCP&L currently has over 2,300 personnel engaged in the field and working in dangerous conditions, including high winds, whiteout visibility, and blocked roadways.

Monmouth County Public Works teams have been collaborating with JCP&L by clearing roads and improving access so utility crews can reach impaired neighborhoods and respond to emergencies more efficiently, Arnone said.

“This coordination is critical during storms of this magnitude. Safety remains the top priority,” he said. “I strongly urge residents to stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary. Downed wires, falling branches, and poor visibility continue to create unsafe conditions.”

To report an outage to JCP&L, residents can:

  • Call: 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877)
  • Text: OUT to 544487 (LIGHTS)
  • Online: Visit firstenergycorp.com and click “Outages”

Commissioner Director Arnone’s update comes as a February blizzard continues to hit New Jersey, with mass transit suspended, a State of Emergency in place, and more snow on the way.

So far, two feet of snow have fallen in some areas on Monday, with snowfall expected to continue into the afternoon.

State and county officials are urging residents to stay inside and stay safe as the storm makes its way through New Jersey.

“Please remain patient as crews continue restoration efforts. They are working tirelessly in difficult conditions to get power restored to our communities,” Arnone said. “Stay safe, Monmouth County.”

To see the original update from Monmouth County, you can click here.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.