Crime & Safety

Man Fired Toward Crowded Arlington Basketball Court, Police Say

Police said Adrian Dwight Taylor fired toward a crowded Gunston Middle School basketball court. No injuries were reported.

Police said a 51-year-old man fired toward a crowded Gunston Middle School basketball court. No injuries were reported.
Police said a 51-year-old man fired toward a crowded Gunston Middle School basketball court. No injuries were reported. (Michael O'Connell/Patch)

ARLINGTON, VA — An Arlington man faces 14 charges after authorities accused him of firing multiple rounds toward an occupied basketball court at Gunston Middle School following an argument during a game.

Adrian Dwight Taylor, 51, was arrested early Monday in the 2400 block of South Army Navy Drive, according to the Arlington County Police Department. He was being held without bond at the Arlington County Detention Facility.

Police said officers were dispatched to the 1400 block of 28th Street South at about just before 10 p.m. on July 25 after receiving a report of gunshots. Investigators believe Taylor had been playing basketball with several other people before becoming involved in a verbal dispute with multiple people on the court.

Find out what's happening in Arlingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Police Say Gunfire Was Directed Toward Occupied Court

Following the dispute, Taylor retrieved a firearm from his vehicle and fired several rounds toward the occupied court, police said. Numerous people remained on the court at the time, many of them juveniles, according to the department.

Taylor left before officers arrived, police said. Authorities reported no injuries or property damage.

Find out what's happening in Arlingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Police said Adrian Dwight Taylor fired toward a crowded Gunston Middle School basketball court. No injuries were reported. (ACPD)

Detectives with the department’s Homicide/Robbery Unit opened an investigation and recovered evidence that they said connected Taylor to the incident. Police obtained arrest warrants before taking him into custody Monday.

Taylor is charged with nine counts of attempted malicious wounding, according to Arlington General District Court records. Each charge is listed as a Class 5 felony.

He also faces charges of shooting a firearm on school grounds, using a firearm in the commission of a felony, reckless handling of a firearm, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and possession of ammunition by a convicted felon, police and court records show.

Court filings identify 14 separate cases associated with the incident. All list July 25 as the offense date and Monday as the arrest date. The records list Taylor as being in custody and represented by the public defender’s office.

Preliminary Hearing Scheduled For October

Taylor appeared for an arraignment Tuesday, according to court records. The cases were continued until Oct. 5.

A preliminary hearing on the felony charges is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. that day in Courtroom 3B. The misdemeanor reckless-handling charge is scheduled for an adjudicatory hearing at the same time and place.


RELATED: Arlington Police Investigate Shots Fired On 28th Street South


No disposition or plea was listed in the court records reviewed Tuesday. Charges are allegations, and Taylor is presumed innocent unless proven guilty.

Police said the investigation remains active and that additional victims may not yet have been identified. Investigators encouraged anyone who witnessed the incident or has information about the case to call the department’s tip line at 703-228-4180 or email ACPDTipline@arlingtonva.us.

Anonymous information may be submitted through Arlington County Crime Solvers at 1-866-411-8477.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.